Calling Customer Service - It Might just Save you Money!


I just wanted to let you all know about a recent customer service experience I had and by recent I mean I just got off of the phone 10 minutes ago.

Yesterday my husband went in to pick up our wedding rings (we had just had them cleaned) this is a service that is Free, thanks to our lifetime customer care plan that was purchased when we first purchased the rings.  While he was there; they revealed to him that one of our warranties had expired.  Apparently, we have Lifetime Customer Care on my wedding bands and center diamond.  But the Engagement ring had expired.

They then told my husband that he would need to spend an additional $107 to get a Lifetime plan.  My husband is not one to question anyone, so he handed over his card to make sure my ring was covered (sweet right?).

When he came home and told me, I was less than happy.  So I decided to give the companies customer service a call.  While, the phone call took about 20 minutes, we were able to figure everything out and it seemed to be a big misunderstanding.  So. . . after 20 minutes, $107 was put back into our account.

The moral of the story?  If you believe something isn't right, take the time to call and get it worked out.  It might just save you some money!

Below are a few tips I've learned when speaking with customer service!

Tip #1
Be Respectful and Kind - This is the number one tip.  These employees hear from angry customers every day.  Stay calm and you will likely have a better experience with your customer service rep. If your anger irritates the customer service rep, you might not receive the top-notch service you’re expecting.

Tip #2
Be Prepared - Have all documents available; whether it be a receipt, invoice, or any other statement.  You will want to have these readily available if/when asked.

Tip #3
Have a Pen & Paper Ready - Throughout your phone call, you will want to write down details you are given.  From representatives names and phone numbers to case file numbers.

Tip #4
Ask to Speak with a Supervisor - Please keep in mind tip #1, however there are times when speaking with the representative is just not going to work.  Sometimes, you need to speak with a supervisor who may have more knowledge on your particular situation.

I was very excited with my customer service call today.  The woman helping me was unbelievable and the best part was that we were able to resolved the issue and put money back in my pocket.

Have you had a good/bad customer service experience?

Comments

  1. There is a second moral to this story and that is to not be afraid to disagree with companies. In your case it is husband going with what they told him in regards to the warranty.

    A common "Oh, well ok then" thing I see a lot of is people being told an insurance claim has been denied. This could be a home owners claim or a health insurance claim -- whatever. These companies almost always start with "No" because they know so many people will just say "Oh, well ok then" and then they don't have to pay.

    So, if you have the documentation like you recommend and you know you are in the right, don't be afraid to challenge.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment